Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Today I took my wedding ring off....

I've known for a while this day was coming.  The writing was on the wall.

No, my marriage isn't on the rocks.  In a few weeks I will celebrate my 37th wedding anniversary to that cute Canadian boy I married at barely 18.

As I was getting ready for work I decided that my pretty diamond ring had become too loose to wear without risking losing it.  I have had a couple close calls.  I had moved it to my middle finger some time ago.  Recently, I would put it on my pointer finger.  Today, after it slipped off, I had to face the music.
My fingers have been shrinking.  Officially, as of today I am down 68 pounds, but sill have that much more to lose.  When I get to my goal I'll have my rings resized.  For now, rather than risk losing my diamond ring, I decided to put it away.

That got me to searching through my jewelry box for a substitute ring to wear on that hand.  For kicks, I dug out my simple, original wedding band from my days as a child bride.  It wasn't all that long ago I tried it on and could barely get it on my pinkie.  I wondered how close I was to being able to actually get it on my ring finger.  To my stunned delight, it slipped right on!

An exciting and unexpected milestone!  Next, I wondered if there was any chance that my high school class ring, even smaller, could possibly fit.  I bought it when I was 16, a very long time ago.  I was flabbergasted that it slipped right on, too!



I admit to crying a few emotional tears at that moment.  Those rings had not fit my fingers for DECADES!  I will have fun wearing them.  Every time I look at my hands it makes me smile!  There isn't a single thing about them that is special, except that after a very long time, they FIT!  Go Vikings!  Class of '74 RULES!

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you wore it off before anything unexpected happened. Anyway, have you already preset your ring? It may be a good action to take it to an expert jeweler and have it fixed, so you can put it on your fingers without being worried.

    - Bridget Rossi

    ReplyDelete