Sunday, November 14, 2010

The incredible journey begins!




This incredible journey began last March when I got a wild hair to head off to Portland to an open casting call for The Biggest Loser Season 10. My sister Kerri was a good sport and agreed to come along with me. A road trip sounded like fun, a weekend diversion, and perhaps a shot at changing our lives!

What a disaster it was! We weren't prepared for a long day in line, in the rain and cold, no chairs, no food, no water, no warm clothes, no clue. We got in line at 8 a.m. and were numbers 1499 and 1500 to get in the door and have our brief encounter with a casting director, about 10 hours later. That's a story for another day....

We came home wiser, and having made a few new friends in line. A few months later, a mysterious email popped into my box, a VIP Pass for another open casting call in Portland for Season 11. Said I could bring 4 fat (I'm paraphrasing) friends or relatives and go to the front of the line. Hmmmm. I called Kerri, she had other plans for the weekend. I wasn't in any hurry for a repeat of our frigid day in line, but then it did say go to the front of the line... then I realized that my hubby had a certificate for a free hotel stay in Portland. I found a friend to come along and I set off again.

This time EVERYTHING went right. And that's another story for another day. I got home Saturday night, and got a call from the casting director to come back the next day for an on-screen interview. She said they were looking for related pairs, and asked if my husband needed to lose weight. No, but my sister is my partner. How about my parents? No, but my sister is my partner! How about my kids? No, my SISTER is my partner! So Kerri and I, along with my 16 year old son, set off for Portland AGAIN first thing the next morning.

Again EVERYTHING went right. In fact, everything in the process over the following weeks went right. It stretched into a couple of months of communications and hoop jumping with the casting department before finally learning that the network did not select us to be on the show.

We were pretty disappointed, because we knew we were SO CLOSE! Kerri, who writes a weekly newspaper column in the Coeur d'Alene Press, mentioned our close call with fitness fame. She told her readers to stay tuned for our Plan B. We didn't have a Plan B yet, but as a result of her column, we received a couple of generous Plan B offers.

And that brings us up to the beginning of our Optifit journey. We have been working with the wonderful Optifit staff for a month now. So far, so good. An incredible journey, but we're really just getting started on our road to health. I will catch you up on these past four weeks in the next few days as time allows. Pictures, too! But here's a sneak peak ~ at my four week weigh-in the other day I was down 18 pounds. It's a start!
It's not spandex and a sports bra on a giant scale on national TV, but the photo of Kerri and me in the driveway as we prepared to set off for Portland is pretty darn unattractive! I'm proud of myself for posting it for you all to see...

Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Janna, way to go! I am very excited to follow your journey. I got very frustrated with myself recently and decided to get back on my "food plan" which not only will help me to shed these ugly pounds, but always makes me feel better within days of behaving myself.

    So here's to you, I am so proud of you and a bit jealous of your bravery! Way to go my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea! It took me about a week to get over cravings and the urge to eat. But I feel so much better it's insane! I have a such a wonderful supportive network of friends and family, as well as the Optifit folks. I just need to stay the course for the long haul. And it will be a long haul....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! I am so proud of you. I admire your determination. As a cowboy friend of mine would say you "ain't got no quit!". Never, never, never, never, NEVER give up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, thanks so much! I ain't got no QUIT! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. She ain't heavy ... she's my incredible shrinking sister! :)

    ReplyDelete