Monday, November 29, 2010

FORK FOOD, Hooray!

It's been a week since my last update.  I'll bet you thought I finally ran out of things to say, but actually it was just a busy week for me, then the snow came, and Thanksgiving, and I enjoyed a few days of down time!

Last Wednesday, I weighed in with a 5.5 pound weight loss!  Holy smokes!  Talk about motivational!  It was Thanksgiving eve, and helped to fortify me against the over indulgence of bounteous feasts of traditional culinary delights!  In fact, I didn't cook, at all.  My guys, having cancelled their ski day due to bitter cold, went to our neighbor's to feast while I stayed happily home and watched movies in my Snuggie by the fireside.  The snow was softly falling, and did I mention I weighed 5.5 pounds LESS than I weighed the Thursday before?  Did I mention that I was happy, content and didn't care that I wasn't feasting?

What would cause a 5.5 pound weight loss that week?  What had I done differently?  The only significant difference I can identify is the introduction of FORK FOOD!  After 6 weeks of meals with no silverware required,  the week leading up to my weigh-in included the introduction of some hot entrees!

Disclaimer - my hot entree fork food still comes out of little paper packets.  They are reconstituted with minuscule amounts of water.  The "eggs" in the photo are reconstituted with 3 ounces water.  They are hot, and not exactly delicious, but they are REAL FOOD, kind of. 

At my 5 week evaluation, I was surprised to find that I could start ordering fork food as part of my meal plan.  That scared the bejeebers out of me for some irrational reason.  Thinking back, it was because I felt like I had conquered food, the power it had over me, I was happily sipping my shakes and eating my two nutritionally designed meal replacement bars each day.  I was in control, in the groove!  Why change things up now and risk falling off the wagon?  I declined to add fork food to my menu that week.  I was scared of it.

The next Wednesday, after hearing my sister Kerri comment about how nice it was to have something hot to eat, I took the plunge and ordered some fork food.  Beefsteak Pasta, and Cheesy Eggs.  I'll bet money that there is no steak, or beef in any other form in that pasta, although I did identify about 5 elbows of what looks like real macaroni!  I am pretty sure there's no cheese in the eggs, in fact, not sure there's eggs in the eggs.  Nevertheless, I have thoroughly enjoyed them both, although the eggs do require a dollop of salsa to bring them up to enjoyable status.

What could fork food have to do with my 5.5 pound big number week?  I can't help wonder if it's because the nutritionally engineered meal replacement bars that the fork food replaced are actually higher in calories, and higher in carbs.  That's my guess. 

I am not looking forward to this week's weigh in.  Although I successfully dodged Thanksgiving dinner, on Saturday I decided to eat a slice of turkey, some stuffing and spiced apples.  It was good, and I enjoyed it, but in hindsight I wish I hadn't.  I don't drink much pop at all, but over the 4 day holiday I consumed an entire 2 litre bottle of diet A&W root beer!  As well as a couple batches of my guilty pleasure - diet jello!  I also realized that I wasn't drinking water like I need to do.  I think I went a couple days without drinking ANY water.  Oh, and I confess to also eating a dill pickle!  And, I wasn't doing my affirmations and keeping track of my meal schedule and what I was eating, and when.  But I know I didn't overeat (or I would be running short of my little packets of food.  So all in all, I am pleased with my holiday weekend. 

I need to regroup and get back in the saddle, back in control of my food, schedule, water and mindset.  My brief and minor holiday diversion from my strict program and restricted carbs would have knocked the scientific mechanics of my fat burning machine out of whack for a few of days.  And such is life.  At least I didn't decide to take a holiday and simply eat with wild abandon, which a few times my drunk monkey suggested I do.  I may have lost a tiny bit of momentum, but I didn't lose any ground. 

Marching onward, fork in hand.  And now, I'm off to fill my water jug.... ◦
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. Janna, oh was I laughing, fork food... and yes, fork food can be very scary.
    You did good woman, hooorrrayyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janna you are doing great! Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing you this week. Did you ever start a food journal??
    P.S. your picture of the cheesy eggs looks great! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. no eggs in the eggs...that's a funny line! I am so impressed that you were able to resist Thanksgiving dinner. You and Kerri both did awesome in losing weight over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete