Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My husband, the jerk?

Over Thanksgiving weekend, my hubby asked me if I wanted to go see a movie.  I think the last movie I drug him to was Julie & Julia, and he hated it as much as I loved it!  He's more into action thrillers, the louder and noisier, the better!

We decided to go see Unstoppable, the runaway train movie.  As it got close to time to head for the theater, I verbalized my unease about my ability to go enjoy a movie in the theater without eating hot, buttered, movie theater popcorn.  That has always been part of the experience for me.  He didn't acknowledge my comment, and off we went.

No sooner than we had cleared the ticket counter, he headed for the concession stand and ordered a large buttered popcorn!  I stared at him in disbelief, and I think my jaw was even gaping open.  I didn't say a word, he saw me looking at him incredulously and said, "What?  I'm hungry." 

I didn't say a word.  In the couple of minutes it took for them to fill his order, take his money, make his change and send him on his way, my mind was racing.

My first thought was something like "What an insensitive jerk!"  I felt hurt because he wasn't supporting me by not eating popcorn in front of me knowing I love it and wouldn't be able to eat some, too.  Seriously, what a jerk! 

But then my mind went to thinking that what I choose to eat or not to eat should have nothing to do with whatever anyone else around me is eating.  It's my choice, and if he wants some popcorn, who am I to be so weak and whiny that I demand he abstain because I have to?  It's not his fault he's healthy and fit and can eat like a horse and stay slim and trim! 

Finally, I closed my gaping jaw and realized that I am blessed indeed to have a loving and devoted husband of 36.5 years who has always supported me in anything I chose to do.  This would include my abstinence from cooking for him for the past couple months.  Including that evening, when he didn't have dinner and decided to eat some popcorn while he watched the movie.  Yes, in front of me when I couldn't enjoy some too.  Well, I could have, but I chose not to. 

He has never said one complaining word about my extended vacation from cooking.  I decided I wouldn't say one complaining word to him, either.  We watched the movie as he munched that popcorn with it's heavenly aroma right in my ear.  Oh, how I wanted some.  DANG!  But I actually did enjoy the movie minus the popcorn and scored another victory.  Janna 1, Popcorn 0. 

And then, I went on to a 4.5 pound weight loss that week, which is SO much better than hot buttered movie theater popcorn EVER was! ◦
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment