Thursday, December 30, 2010

A close encounter of the AFFIRMATIVE kind!

This afternoon I decided to treat my daughter and myself to a pedicure.  Kristen, home from college for just a few days, had been to the dentist using up her 2010 benefits in the nick of time.  I had an emotional morning with the closing of a difficult real estate transaction.  It saw my client break down in sobs when I delivered the news that her ordeal was over.  It's difficult for people who have lost their financial stability, retirement savings and dreams for the future with the plummenting property values of the past few years. And it's difficult for real estate agents on whom they depend to help them through the complicated process of avoiding foreclosure. I spent a bit of the morning in tears of my own, tears of relief and closure and compassion.  Humbled that I had been a part of helping her bring about the very best possible outcome in an impossible situation.

By the time Kristen and I got our feet in jetted tubs of warm water, I looked and felt like a train wreck.  Circles under my puffy, cry baby eyes, mascara smeared, hair I should have washed this morning but didn't have time to do.  There were several other people in the busy salon.  One woman looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place her.  Kristen and I read our magazines as the chairs massaged our backs and we received the DELUXE pedicure.  Heavenly leg massages with herbs, mineral scrubs, baggies of hot wax enveloping our feet...  Just what the doctor ordered! 

Then, unexpectedly, the vaguely familiar woman approached me.  I lowered my magazine, she leaned toward me and with her hand on my knee said,

"You are a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL woman!"

Before I had a chance to respond, she was gone.  Kristen stared at me and I stared at the woman making her exit.  What in the world?

Let me just say that I do believe that I am a beautiful woman.  Not movie star beautiful, but without too much effort I can put myself together attractively.  I'm blessed with good genetics (with the exception of the pesky fat gene) and almost no wrinkles in my 54 year old face.  But today, this afternoon, in my frazzled and tear stained state, I definitely did not have the appearance of a "beautiful, BEAUTIFUL" woman!  Certainly not to the extent that a stranger would make a point to come over and tell me how beautiful I am.  This I know FOR SURE!

So what was that all about?  I think that the woman knows who I am.  Perhaps she's a friend of Kerri's and has followed our blogs and Facebook postings.  Perhaps she's reading this now!  I think she is aware of the journey Kerri and I are on, to overcome once and for all our battle with the bulge.  

I have had numerous people comment to me how I have inspired them.  Random people who I am not particularly close to.  Out of the blue they will engage me in conversation about Optifit, dieting, health and fitness.  I have come to realize that there are many, many people out there watching me.  And being inspired by me.  It is a humbling and somewhat overwhelming realization, not unlike the emotional part of dealing with my distressed real estate clients.  People are depending on me!  What I'm doing is making a difference in people's lives! 

So to the woman who reminded me today that I am a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL woman, thank you!  Your kindness has helped strengthen my resolve to carry on and win the good fight.  For me, for Kerri, for my clients, and for all the people that I am not even aware of who are gaining strength and motivation by following my story. 

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Hey beautiful sister, you've always been my role model! Get used to other people being inspired by you on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janna, you are highly authentic. It's your honesty that touches people; I know it touches me...

    ReplyDelete